SGA president talks about challenges and rewards of his presidential journey

<p>The University of Memphis celebrated the hours its students put into serving the community in the University Center Atrium. David Rudd, U of M president, and wife Loretta Rudd, a clinical associate professor in child development, stand with students Melissa Byrd and Jared Moses as confetti and balloons fall from the sky light. Students did more than 600,000 hours of community service.</p>
<p>PHOTO BY Jonathan Capriel</p>
The University of Memphis celebrated the hours its students put into serving the community in the University Center Atrium. David Rudd, U of M president, and wife Loretta Rudd, a clinical associate professor in child development, stand with students Melissa Byrd and Jared Moses as confetti and balloons fall from the sky light. Students did more than 600,000 hours of community service. PHOTO BY Jonathan Capriel

While some students may think running the Student Government Association is a simple job, U of M’s 67th General Assembly President said that’s not the case.

Current student government President Jared Moses had his share of campus involvement, but he said nothing compares to how much he has learned and must know while sitting on committees. He had to know the finances of the university, building plans, strategic plans and how all of that relates back to the student experience.

“From boring to fun, I have to sit in on these meetings and be knowledgeable,” Moses said. “It makes my job easier when I have all of the information, so I can share the student voice.”

The student government’s motto is “the voice of the students,” and as his term nears its end, Moses’ scope of this motto has changed.

“I wanted to listen to everybody, but I realized so many people have different opinions on things,” Moses said. “Some opinions are polarizing. So, like the gun issue, the voice of the students was so split. In that instance, I have to personally think about what I think is best for the university and make a decision.”

Alongside the controversy of the Tennessee campus gun carry laws being passed, Moses said the debate over the recreation center “took the cake.” He said the student government’s goal this year was to refocus itself on advocacy and representation of the students rather than event planning. 

It’s not always serious business with the title. Moses said the job comes with a few perks. Interactions with the students have made his presidency fun. He liked being in the know and being able to network with different decision-making people at the university. It has allowed him to be in these moments every day and ultimately help brand himself for after college. The last perk Moses liked the most was “all the free lunches.”

As the new election comes along, Moses’ advice to the new candidates is it’s okay to say no and know delegation is important. His takeaway is “you can’t make everybody happy and that you just have to do your job and do it well.”

Although it’s great to listen to all opinions, Moses had tough times when he had to make a decision and stick to it.

“I had a little grey hair, but it has definitely spread throughout my presidency,” Moses said. “It’s tough, but at the core of it all, you’re still a student, and your main goal is to graduate.”

Moses’ favorite quote is from Kobe Bryant, “heroes come and go, but legends are forever.”

“I never wanted to be just a hero to just come and save the day,” Moses said. “Whatever I do, I want to be legendary for it. I might not see a lot of my work in my immediate presidency, but within the next three or four years some things that I have done will be evident at the university.”

The University of Memphis celebrated the hours its students put into serving the community in the University Center Atrium. David Rudd, U of M president, and wife Loretta Rudd, a clinical associate professor in child development, stand with students Melissa Byrd and Jared Moses as confetti and balloons fall from the sky light. Students did more than 600,000 hours of community service.

PHOTO BY Jonathan Capriel

Similar Posts