Guns on campus discussion heats up: Students debate the pros and cons

<p>Jared Moses, president of the student government at the University of Memphis, talks to students during an open forum about guns on campus. A bill is working its way through the state legislature that would allow full-time employees to carry a concealed firearm onto Tennessee public colleges and universities.&nbsp;</p>
Jared Moses, president of the student government at the University of Memphis, talks to students during an open forum about guns on campus. A bill is working its way through the state legislature that would allow full-time employees to carry a concealed firearm onto Tennessee public colleges and universities. 
Jared Moses, SGA president, talks guns on campus

The University of Memphis “Guns on Campus†open forum became heated after a number of students took the floor to advocate both for and against the concealed carry bill Tuesday for a crowd of about 50.

Student government hosted the forum to give the campus community a chance to discuss both pros and cons of the concealed carry bill that is working its way through the state legislature. If passed the bill would give full-time employees of Tennessee public colleges and universities, who also have a state issued permit, the ability to carry a concealed firearm on campus.

Will McDonald, 21, U of M biology major and vice president of Students for Concealed Carry, was one student who argued that students and faculty should have the right of concealed carry.

The crowed seemed mostly in favor of concealed carry. Many students applauded when McDonald said, “I’d rather have a fighting chance, than no chance.â€

McDonald spoke on how alarming TigerText can be when reporting criminal activities. He said with the benefit of concealed carry, students and faculty are better prepared to protect themselves around campus.

“I believe there is a right of personal protection for everyone, and there is nothing that should infringe on that right,†McDonald said.

A twitter poll conducted from the student government's twitter account seemed to indicate that many on twitter were against the idea of guns being allowed on campus. 

Neither M. David Rudd, U of M president, or Bruce Harber, chief of campus police, are happy about the bill, and they have publicly expressed their discomfort.

In an email to students and faculty on April 4, the two said allowing guns on campus “will disrupt our academic mission and will adversely impact student success.â€

Although the voting and passing of the bill is out of their hands, Harber said that everything is being done to keep it from happening.

It's unclear where many in student goverment stand on the issue. 

Newly elected president and vice president of government, Jared Moses and Natalie Moore, have not taken a side in the argument. Moses said that they are in favor of the student voice.

“It wouldn’t be right to say how Natalie and I feel without representing the student body as a whole,†Moses said. “It is important for us as students to get our opinions out there before the voting takes place.â€

Most of student government refused to respond how they feel about conceal carry on campus or was unsure, according to a survey conducted by The Daily Helmsman. 

Student Gov. to tackle guns on campus

More than 13 percent of student senators surveyed said they are against faculty being allowed to carry a concealed gun, and 13 percent said they were in favor. Most senators, 43 percent, said they were either not sure or wanted to survey the student body.Thirty percent refused to answer the question. The survey received responses from 30 of the 38 elected senators.

Brijesh Kumar, 20, Biology and business major and former student government senator who argued against concealed carry, said that guns are no place for higher education.

Kumar said, the campus should focus on improve university security “rather than trying to implement a temporary fix with guns,†Kumar said. “We need to focus on the root of the problem and not take law enforcement into our own hands.â€

Stuart Dedmon, U of M student and president of Students for Concealed Carry, led the discussion with both facts and opinions hopeful to get their views across to concerned students.

Dedmon argued differently. He said that people have a right to self-defense.

‘Guns on Campus’ bill to hit Senate

Tennessee lawmakers are voting on a bill that would allow university employees to carry concealed weapons on college campuses. Currently, it is illegal to bring a gun onto the University of Memphis campus.

“Many people are letting their emotions get in the way of the facts that support having concealed carry on campus,†Dedmon said. “There is no pragmatic reason to oppose it.â€

Dedmon said that he understood how some could feel uncomfortable to the sight of a gun, but that’s why the proposal is for all firearms to be concealed and out of sight.

“I can carry it anywhere else, why shouldn’t I be able to protect myself on campus?†he asked.

“We oppose this legislation and do not believe the presence of more weapons will make our campuses safer,†Rudd and Harber said in the email. “The University of Memphis has consistently been one of the safest places in the state. We believe our exemplary record is due in part of guns being prohibited on our campuses.â€

Similar Posts