12 songs to get you through finals

12songspic

Final exams are all about confidence .... well, they’re mostly about learning the course material, studying the course material and applying it, but confidence definitely helps. Back in the Spring of 2013 I aced my Physics exam. Well, I felt like I aced my Physics exam (I think I made a B-) but no matter the grade, I was able to face that test by listening to the right, confidence-boosting song before taking it:

It was a crisp morning as I walked from the Southern lot to Manning Hall with headphones in and Frank Sinatra on full blast. The lyrics to“That’s Life†instilled in me a test-taking confidence I’d never known. Ever since that day, each semester, I’ve made it a personal tradition to walk to my most difficult exam while listening to that song. Here are 12 other tunes to instill confidence in even the most modest of campus test takers:  

1. “Working for the Weekend†by Loverboy

“Everyone's watching, to see what you will do

Everyone's looking at you

Everyone's wondering, will you come out tonight

Everyone's trying to get it right, get it rightâ€

Oh yeah. There’s nothing like a good 80’s pop song to pump you up and inspire success. Go ahead and cue this puppy before diving into a study-montage of yourself reading, highlighting and for some reason karate chopping wooden blocks on the beach. Right now everyone’s “working for the weekend,†everyone’s “going off the deep end†and if the test is cumulative, check your notes - “you better start from the start.† 

2. “All Star†by Smash Mouth

“Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play

Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid

And all that glitters is gold

Only shooting stars break the moldâ€

Yes, the greatest song of all time and the deserved winner of every single grammy award ever made this playlist. Smash Mouth’s classic, late 90’s jam is extremely inspirational, no matter how many times it’s been meme’d lately. Get ready to walk into those exams like a rock star, even if you aren’t the sharpest tool in the shed.

3. “Bounce Back†by Big Sean

“Last night took an L, but tonight I bounce back

Wake up every morning, by the night, I count stacksâ€

Big Sean means a lot to this campus and a lot to my college experience. Ever since his Spring Fling performance a few years back his music has been synonymous with succeeding at U of M to me. That night he told all in attendance to keep at our studies, make that money and to one day buy our mommas’ new houses (no promises though).

It is only natural that I put one of the singles from his latest record on this playlist and “Bounce Back†has just enough attitude to set up the right test-taking experience. Let’s say you “take an L†during one of your finals and you feel terrible about it. As you walk out of the classroom you know what you just did in there was not pretty. Don’t let it affect the rest of your exams - wake up in beast mode for the next one and “bounce back.† 

4. “What’s Going On†by Marvin Gaye

“Oh, what's going on

What's going on

Yeah, what's going on

Ah, what's going on.â€

We all know that feeling: You’re in the middle of a test and wonder why everyone else is pulling out a calculator and a ruler ...during a foreign language exam. “What’s going on?†You are lost and you know it. The confusion is real.

This song actually has a much, much greater cultural significance, but perhaps listening to it might help you to realize that there are bigger problems in the world than your moderately difficult exam (whether or not you remembered your calculator.) Worse case scenario: you’ll have to retake this class, but you can use that as an opportunity to keep working at the campus newspaper one more semester before you graduate. Right on.

7. “Paper Planes†by M.I.A.

“All I wanna do is

*gun sound, gun sound, gun sound, gun sound

And a

And take your money.â€

This one doesn’t have anything to do with test-taking, but it’s a great pump-up track that everybody forgets about and then remembers how awesome it is when it comes on. Maybe you don’t feel like studying until 3 a.m. (or writing an editorial for the last day of print that you should have written sooner.) Maybe you just feel like goofing off, singing part of the “Slumdog Millionaire†soundtrack and making gun sounds for a while.

You know what? You deserve to do that (for a surprisingly long amount of time) before you commit to hitting the books. Go crazy - get it out of your system before you sit down to an intense study session and do all that learning stuff.

8. “Be Prepared†from “The Lion King†soundtrack

“Prepare for a chance of a lifetime

Be prepared for sensational news

A shining new era is tiptoeing nearer

And where do we feature?

Just listen to teacherâ€

Yes, just listen to your teachers. They’ve been telling you to “be prepared†all semester but now it actually matters (or perhaps it’s just now registering with you). “A shining new era,†(summer) is “tiptoeing nearer.†Keep that in mind as you prepare tirelessly into the morning hours. If you succeed, the next couple months you’ll be singing “Hakuna Matata.†It means no worries.

9. “Three Little Birds†by Bob Marley

“Don't worry about a thing

'Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.â€

Speaking of worries, as you tirelessly study for each exam, remember to not stress yourself completely out. It’s wonderful to be prepared, but it’s healthy to take moments to breathe. Listen to Bob - “Every little thing is gonna be alright.† 

10. “I’m On One†by DJ Khaled, Drake, and every other rapper from 2011

“I'm getting so cold

I ain't work this hard since I was 18

Apologize if I say, anything I don't meanâ€

Admit it: you love Drake. Yes, you do. You know you get excited when this song comes on. You also probably haven’t worked this hard since you were 18 (unless you are a freshman and are literally 18.)

Either way, “all that hype don’t feel the same next year boy.†This is your chance to pass these classes. You wouldn’t want to take them again and have to work one more semester at the student newspaper do you? Anyway, the throne (of good grades) is for the taking. Be sure to actively tell people to “watch you take it.† 

11. “My Way†by Frank Sinatra

“Regrets, I've had a few

But then again, too few to mention

I did what I had to do

And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course

Each careful step along the byway

And more, much more than this

I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew

When I bit off more than I could chew

But through it all, when there was doubt

I ate it up and spit it out

I faced it all and I stood tall

And did it my way.â€

Now that the end is near you must face the final curtain. Success in college is ultimately up to you - that’s a theme that is constantly beat into your head at U of M. From entering frosh camp to choosing your classes ... to retaking some of those classes, your decisions impact your college trajectory.

You are ultimately in control of your own destiny here. Even if you’re taking just too many hours, “biting off more than you can chew,† you can eat it all up, spit it out just like old blue eyes and do things your own way. No one sings it like Frank.

12. “Take it Easy†by the Eagles

“Take It easy, take it easy

Don't let the sound of your own wheels

drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can

don't even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand

and take it easyâ€

Save this track for after your final exam when you can say “I did it.†You did it. ‘Nuff said. You know what? I’m not even in the mood to write some grand conclusion to this editorial or drop some wisdom about what this semester ultimately means to me.

It’s basically summer now. I’m “taking it easy.â€

Editor out.

Another Daily Helmsman playlist:

Similar Posts