2012 guide to staying fit
Personal trainer Kirstin Piquette helps Paula Sampel during her morning workout at Seattle Fitness Club in Pioneer Square. MCT
Last year's worries and woes are gone, and this year's possibilities float in the air like balloons. And along with the start of 2012, come the New Year's resolutions.
Eat healthy. Get fit. Lose weight. According to USA.gov, those are among the top ten most popular resolutions year after year.
For any University of Memphis student who has such resolutions scribbled on their mental notepads, The University offers resources that will help students conquer their resolutions to stay fit.
The College of Fine Arts offers various dance classes to keep students moving. Students can try anything from modern dance to ballet or jazz.
For students who want to start a fitness regimen, the Department of Health and Sport Sciences offers a nutrition class and an introduction to foods class.
The Department of Health and Sport Sciences also offers numerous physical education classes, including anything from rock climbing to ballroom dancing.
Tiger Dining is jumping on board with healthy options as well. Richardson Towers has recently said a new, healthy option to campus dining called Just 4 U.
"Just 4 U offers a large diversity of options including vegetable medleys, grilled chicken or other meats, a full salad bar, fresh fruits, hummus, various pastas and others," said Sean Armstrong, marketing manager with Tiger Dining.
Richardson Towers isn't the only dining area that has expanded its healthy food selection.
"We are expanding our horizons and beginning to implement and highlight newer, healthier items at each of our dining locations. For example, Tigers of Memphis Restaurant has now added three new options to its menu, including a Greek Chicken Pita, Lemon Basil Pita and a Fresh Catch grilled white fish," Armstrong said.
Full-time U of M students with six credit hours or more have a free membership at the Campus Recreation Intramural Services Complex Facility and Larry O. Finch Gymnasium.
The CRIS's facilities include basketball courts, tennis courts, a cardio center, multiple dive wells and pools, an aerobics center and a weight room.
The CRIS occasionally offers free aerobics classes to students each semester, as well.
Laurie Kay, office associate of campus recreation, said spring classes are offered from Jan. 17 through April 20. Some of the aerobics classes include cycle, zumba, boot camp, pilates, and kickboxing.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- UM becomes Center of Transportation Workforce
- Tiger football gears up for home stretch
- Students get crash course in crossing Southern tracks safely
- College students attend Christian retreat
- Abortion Amendment Q&A with Planned Parenthood CEO
- Nichols strains shoulder, expected to miss 10 days
- Sigma Phi Epsilon scares for the children of St. Jude
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR