Different cultures under one roof
Students, faculty and staff at the University of Memphis who have a taste for foreign cuisine, music and free t-shirts have an opportunity to satisfy all three desires this weekend-free of charge.
Tomorrow, the Student Government Association and the Office of Multicultural Affairs will play host to the Multicultural Affairs Festival from noon to 2 p.m. on the U of M's student plaza.
Twenty-five cultural-based organizations from both inside and outside the U of M will be there to show visitors the meanings behind their cultures and help promote a safer environment for cultural learning, as well as increase an enthusiasm to promote more culturally centered events.
In addition to the various cultures being represented, graduate assistant Srividya Kalidindi mentioned that there will be plenty of dance performances.
"We have performances from all cultures, such as Asian, Persian and Native Americans," she said. "We even have an African hip-hop group coming in to perform."
The purpose of the festival, according to Kalidindi, is to celebrate diversity at the U of M and to give people a chance to learn tolerance of other cultures.
However, multicultural affairs coordinator Linda Hall said people should not only be culturally tolerant, but they should embrace the diversity as well.
"If one embraces the differences of another culture, that's considered an education for them," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Martin Officially Becomes a Tiger
- Cool things to do in Memphis for under $10
- National recognition pours in for Tiger baseball
- Women’s golf finishes fifth at AAC Championship
- New look backcourt key to Tiger success in 2016
- Student government proposes lower GPA standards for themselves
- Former Tiger great chases championship
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!