Different cultures under one roof
Students, faculty and staff at the University of Memphis who have a taste for foreign cuisine, music and free t-shirts have an opportunity to satisfy all three desires this weekend-free of charge.
Tomorrow, the Student Government Association and the Office of Multicultural Affairs will play host to the Multicultural Affairs Festival from noon to 2 p.m. on the U of M's student plaza.
Twenty-five cultural-based organizations from both inside and outside the U of M will be there to show visitors the meanings behind their cultures and help promote a safer environment for cultural learning, as well as increase an enthusiasm to promote more culturally centered events.
In addition to the various cultures being represented, graduate assistant Srividya Kalidindi mentioned that there will be plenty of dance performances.
"We have performances from all cultures, such as Asian, Persian and Native Americans," she said. "We even have an African hip-hop group coming in to perform."
The purpose of the festival, according to Kalidindi, is to celebrate diversity at the U of M and to give people a chance to learn tolerance of other cultures.
However, multicultural affairs coordinator Linda Hall said people should not only be culturally tolerant, but they should embrace the diversity as well.
"If one embraces the differences of another culture, that's considered an education for them," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Men’s tennis hopes for experience with fall slate
- Tigers look to keep momentum rolling against MTSU
- University library celebrates banned books
- Students celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
- Memphis marches for a safer community
- Memphis Golf comes up big in two tournaments
- Domestic violence still poses major social threat
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses