Different cultures under one roof
Students, faculty and staff at the University of Memphis who have a taste for foreign cuisine, music and free t-shirts have an opportunity to satisfy all three desires this weekend-free of charge.
Tomorrow, the Student Government Association and the Office of Multicultural Affairs will play host to the Multicultural Affairs Festival from noon to 2 p.m. on the U of M's student plaza.
Twenty-five cultural-based organizations from both inside and outside the U of M will be there to show visitors the meanings behind their cultures and help promote a safer environment for cultural learning, as well as increase an enthusiasm to promote more culturally centered events.
In addition to the various cultures being represented, graduate assistant Srividya Kalidindi mentioned that there will be plenty of dance performances.
"We have performances from all cultures, such as Asian, Persian and Native Americans," she said. "We even have an African hip-hop group coming in to perform."
The purpose of the festival, according to Kalidindi, is to celebrate diversity at the U of M and to give people a chance to learn tolerance of other cultures.
However, multicultural affairs coordinator Linda Hall said people should not only be culturally tolerant, but they should embrace the diversity as well.
"If one embraces the differences of another culture, that's considered an education for them," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- M Club Hall of Fame pitcher's jersey to be retired
- Men's golf finishes seventh at conference championship
- Underemployment by recent college grads up 44 percent
- Nine people die each day due to distracted driving
- University receives grant from GRAMMY foundation
- The chaos of cramming
- Brewery uses beer to build Memphis pride
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit