Tiger baseball prepares for 100th season
It is still January and 75 degrees? That suits the University of Memphis Tigers baseball team just fine as they prepare to start their season in two weeks.
And not just any baseball season, mind you. This year, Memphis will celebrate its 100th season.
The Tigers have done a lot of winning during that time, notching over 1,500 W's. This year, they plan to add a few more to that column.
"Being the coach during the hundredth season is an honor," head coach Daron Schoenrock said. "We hope to bring back some former players to really celebrate this season."
The team finished last season with a 31-28 record, coming within one game of making the NCAA Tournament field, and have lost several big bats in the lineup in Adam McClain, Eli Hynes, and Jacob Wilson - a trio that contributed 31 of the team's 41 home runs last season. Dan Langfield, the head of the rotation last season, was taken this past summer in the third round of the MLB draft and now resides in the Cincinatti Reds' farm system.
"No one player can replace these guys," Schoenrock said. "But we can replace them by committee. We are a really deep team this year - we are almost too deep at some positions. But with these position battles and by working together, we can continue moving forward."
Despite their departures, the Tigers return seven starters to their lineup and possess a deep pitching staff led by junior left-hander Sam Moll. Moll went 5-5 last year, posting a 3.48 earned run average. Junior closer Jonathan Van Eaton is back as well, looking to improve on a stellar season. Van Eaton posted a 6-2 record in relief with eight saves, complementing a brutal 1.58 ERA a year ago.
Conference USA provides a tough road this year, as both Rice and Southern Miss are ranked in Baseball America's preseason top 25 coming in at No. 18 and No. 23, respectively. The Tigers will play a three-game series with each team - Rice in May and Southern Miss in April.
"We do not have the pop that we had last year," Schoenrock said. "So we will need to put pressure on opposing defenses. That said, our pitching staff is very strong this year. If the offense can move the ball around, we will be successful."
Schoenrock enters his ninth season as the Tigers' head coach and has tallied 147 wins in his career, fourth on the all-time list of the winningest coaches in Tiger history. Former head coach Bobby Kilpatrick is the Tigers' all-time winningest coach with 653 career wins.
The Tigers will kick off the season at FedExPark against Illinois State on Feb. 15 at 4 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- UM becomes Center of Transportation Workforce
- Tiger football gears up for home stretch
- Students get crash course in crossing Southern tracks safely
- College students attend Christian retreat
- Abortion Amendment Q&A with Planned Parenthood CEO
- Nichols strains shoulder, expected to miss 10 days
- Sigma Phi Epsilon scares for the children of St. Jude
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”