Students enjoy break from winter
Shorts, t-shirts and sandals, oh my! In January? Well, if you are a Memphian this 72-degree January weather should come as no real surprise. After all, Memphians should be used to wearing sundresses one day and parkas the next, shouldn't they?
Students on the University of Memphis campus think so. "It is beautiful outside today. It reminds me of my days when I lived in California. But I think it is supposed to snow Thursday," criminal justice major Anastasia Bodan said.
Yesterday, flocks of students made their way to and from the University Center at the heart of campus wearing light sweaters, shorts and even tank tops. Outside seating was occupied by people enjoying their outdoor lunches, smoking their cigarettes and working on their laptops.
But this bipolar Memphis weather has left more than a few Memphians a bit confused. Some are still walking around campus carrying their coats, scarves and umbrellas. "I put on my scarf and coat this morning in the expectation that I would need them. Not in this weather. I guess I am going to have to start keeping an extra change of shorts in the back seat of my car during January. Crazy," public relations major Natalie LeDoux said.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter haven't missed a beat on the city's weather mood swings. A simple search reveals a slew of tweets and funny blurbs on the matter. "People are so confused. I see everything from pea coats to shorts #memphisweather," tweeted Jennifer Chanelle.
"70-degrees today! Must mean its supposed to snow here tomorrow #memphisweather," tweeted Missy Tompkins.
Whatever month it may be, Memphians can guarantee their weather won't get the memo. Snow in October, tornados in January. Anyone have any suggestions for a good therapist?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers get revenge defeat Tulane, 57-55
- Former U of M Vice President accused of lies
- University and ex-employee make final arguments in termination appeal
- Songwriter journeys from Tennessee to California
- Holiday weather brings yuletide death
- Lynch makes leap in record-setting season
- More college students linger after four-year mark
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World