Students enjoy break from winter
Shorts, t-shirts and sandals, oh my! In January? Well, if you are a Memphian this 72-degree January weather should come as no real surprise. After all, Memphians should be used to wearing sundresses one day and parkas the next, shouldn't they?
Students on the University of Memphis campus think so. "It is beautiful outside today. It reminds me of my days when I lived in California. But I think it is supposed to snow Thursday," criminal justice major Anastasia Bodan said.
Yesterday, flocks of students made their way to and from the University Center at the heart of campus wearing light sweaters, shorts and even tank tops. Outside seating was occupied by people enjoying their outdoor lunches, smoking their cigarettes and working on their laptops.
But this bipolar Memphis weather has left more than a few Memphians a bit confused. Some are still walking around campus carrying their coats, scarves and umbrellas. "I put on my scarf and coat this morning in the expectation that I would need them. Not in this weather. I guess I am going to have to start keeping an extra change of shorts in the back seat of my car during January. Crazy," public relations major Natalie LeDoux said.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter haven't missed a beat on the city's weather mood swings. A simple search reveals a slew of tweets and funny blurbs on the matter. "People are so confused. I see everything from pea coats to shorts #memphisweather," tweeted Jennifer Chanelle.
"70-degrees today! Must mean its supposed to snow here tomorrow #memphisweather," tweeted Missy Tompkins.
Whatever month it may be, Memphians can guarantee their weather won't get the memo. Snow in October, tornados in January. Anyone have any suggestions for a good therapist?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Memphis loses Nichols again in loss to Tulsa
- No. 21 Mustangs pull away late, take down Tigers 66-57
- Women’s golf wins first tournament title of the spring
- Tigers hope to double up on Saint Louis
- Benjamin L. Hooks Institute Launches Website Mapping Out Civil Rights Locations
- Pi Beta Phi twist and shout for youth literacy
- Many food shops but few grocery options for Memphis’s poor
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone