Students enjoy break from winter
Shorts, t-shirts and sandals, oh my! In January? Well, if you are a Memphian this 72-degree January weather should come as no real surprise. After all, Memphians should be used to wearing sundresses one day and parkas the next, shouldn't they?
Students on the University of Memphis campus think so. "It is beautiful outside today. It reminds me of my days when I lived in California. But I think it is supposed to snow Thursday," criminal justice major Anastasia Bodan said.
Yesterday, flocks of students made their way to and from the University Center at the heart of campus wearing light sweaters, shorts and even tank tops. Outside seating was occupied by people enjoying their outdoor lunches, smoking their cigarettes and working on their laptops.
But this bipolar Memphis weather has left more than a few Memphians a bit confused. Some are still walking around campus carrying their coats, scarves and umbrellas. "I put on my scarf and coat this morning in the expectation that I would need them. Not in this weather. I guess I am going to have to start keeping an extra change of shorts in the back seat of my car during January. Crazy," public relations major Natalie LeDoux said.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter haven't missed a beat on the city's weather mood swings. A simple search reveals a slew of tweets and funny blurbs on the matter. "People are so confused. I see everything from pea coats to shorts #memphisweather," tweeted Jennifer Chanelle.
"70-degrees today! Must mean its supposed to snow here tomorrow #memphisweather," tweeted Missy Tompkins.
Whatever month it may be, Memphians can guarantee their weather won't get the memo. Snow in October, tornados in January. Anyone have any suggestions for a good therapist?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- AAC releases coaches' preseason predictions
- U of M Law School ranked No. 1 by PreLaw Magazine
- Historic cemetery hosts annual 'Spirits with Spirits'
- Up 'Til Dawn kicks off letter sending party
- New NBA season tips off with plethora of storylines
- Q&A with comedian and actor Gary Owen
- Open records, locked door
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!