Students enjoy break from winter
Shorts, t-shirts and sandals, oh my! In January? Well, if you are a Memphian this 72-degree January weather should come as no real surprise. After all, Memphians should be used to wearing sundresses one day and parkas the next, shouldn't they?
Students on the University of Memphis campus think so. "It is beautiful outside today. It reminds me of my days when I lived in California. But I think it is supposed to snow Thursday," criminal justice major Anastasia Bodan said.
Yesterday, flocks of students made their way to and from the University Center at the heart of campus wearing light sweaters, shorts and even tank tops. Outside seating was occupied by people enjoying their outdoor lunches, smoking their cigarettes and working on their laptops.
But this bipolar Memphis weather has left more than a few Memphians a bit confused. Some are still walking around campus carrying their coats, scarves and umbrellas. "I put on my scarf and coat this morning in the expectation that I would need them. Not in this weather. I guess I am going to have to start keeping an extra change of shorts in the back seat of my car during January. Crazy," public relations major Natalie LeDoux said.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter haven't missed a beat on the city's weather mood swings. A simple search reveals a slew of tweets and funny blurbs on the matter. "People are so confused. I see everything from pea coats to shorts #memphisweather," tweeted Jennifer Chanelle.
"70-degrees today! Must mean its supposed to snow here tomorrow #memphisweather," tweeted Missy Tompkins.
Whatever month it may be, Memphians can guarantee their weather won't get the memo. Snow in October, tornados in January. Anyone have any suggestions for a good therapist?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Austin Nichols picks Virginia
- Trump’s track record on race troubling, activists say
- Victims’ families push Senate for immigration crackdown
- Helmsman roundtable: Austin Nichols departs
- U of M's Austin Nichols intends to transfer
- Nichols' potential transfer leaves Memphis in bind
- Working Around New State Law Hampering Pre-Natal Healthcare
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS