Students enjoy break from winter
Shorts, t-shirts and sandals, oh my! In January? Well, if you are a Memphian this 72-degree January weather should come as no real surprise. After all, Memphians should be used to wearing sundresses one day and parkas the next, shouldn't they?
Students on the University of Memphis campus think so. "It is beautiful outside today. It reminds me of my days when I lived in California. But I think it is supposed to snow Thursday," criminal justice major Anastasia Bodan said.
Yesterday, flocks of students made their way to and from the University Center at the heart of campus wearing light sweaters, shorts and even tank tops. Outside seating was occupied by people enjoying their outdoor lunches, smoking their cigarettes and working on their laptops.
But this bipolar Memphis weather has left more than a few Memphians a bit confused. Some are still walking around campus carrying their coats, scarves and umbrellas. "I put on my scarf and coat this morning in the expectation that I would need them. Not in this weather. I guess I am going to have to start keeping an extra change of shorts in the back seat of my car during January. Crazy," public relations major Natalie LeDoux said.
Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter haven't missed a beat on the city's weather mood swings. A simple search reveals a slew of tweets and funny blurbs on the matter. "People are so confused. I see everything from pea coats to shorts #memphisweather," tweeted Jennifer Chanelle.
"70-degrees today! Must mean its supposed to snow here tomorrow #memphisweather," tweeted Missy Tompkins.
Whatever month it may be, Memphians can guarantee their weather won't get the memo. Snow in October, tornados in January. Anyone have any suggestions for a good therapist?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers take down Bulls for fifth straight win
- Nintendo's flagship fighter smashes expectations
- Polar Plunge chills Up 'til Dawn members
- U of M attacks ex-employee claims
- Tigers pounce on Prairie View, pick up first win of the season
- Big K.R.I.T.'s Cadillactica brings the Gulf Coast sound to the rest of the...
- University concludes open sessions to select next vice president
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge