Haslam speaks of funding multi-million dollar health building
Gov. Bill Haslam visited the University Center yesterday to speak about his proposed 2013-2014 state budget in which $56.8 million is coming to The University of Memphis.
"When I was first running for governor, I came and met with Dr. Raines. She kept mentioning the critical need for a new facility at the University of Memphis that would address audiology, speech pathology and nursing. Dr. Raines made a point that stuck close to my heart," Haslam said during his speech Jan. 29.
"She said, 'These are places where there is market demand for jobs. The demand is there. If we have the facility, we can we fill those spaces and produce people ready for jobs that are out there waiting for them.'
"To me, that is exactly what we should be doing in the state of Tennessee. We should be finding out what the market is telling you and funding accordingly," Haslam said.
Haslam's proposal includes $56.8 million for the construction of a four-story building for South Campus that will be the new home of the Loewenburg School of Nursing, the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders and the Memphis Speech and Hearing Center, making the building a health facility for the community, Haslam said.
The 177,000 square foot facility will be able to house more than 1,250 students, faculty and staff.
"I tell people all the time that to me there's more encouragement out of Memphis than anywhere else because of the way the community has come together on big issues," Haslam said.
Legislators are expected to spend the next three months reviewing the budget before approving it by mid-May.
Haslam will also visit campus Friday, Feb. 1 as one of the speakers paying tribute to Cato Johnson, senior vice president of corporate affairs for Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare, when he receives the Authur S. Holmon Award.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists