Pookie to stay at Memphis
After contemplating transferring away from the University of Memphis men's basketball team, redshirt freshman guard RaShawn "Pookie" Powell decided to stay at the U of M on Thursday afternoon, according to a source close to the program.
The Orlando, Fla., native sat out his first season at Memphis after failing to meet the academic standards set by the NCAA. He was ineligible to practice or play with the team.
Rumblings of Powell's intentions to transfer arose after a disagreement with the coaching staff about Powell's intentions for this summer. But, the two sides reconciled on Wednesday evening to keep Powell on campus for next season, according to a source.
The 6-foot, 177-pound guard is expected to contribute heavily to the decimated Memphis frontcourt. Next year's team will be without the four senior guards that anchored this year's squad.
Alongside Powell, Memphis hopes to get significant minutes from redshirt freshman Markel Crawford and several other incoming recruits.
Powell set the single-season scoring record as a senior at Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando. He averaged 27.8 points per game to go along with four assists and five boards.
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner said in his closing press conference that any player who was not "two-feet in" would not be welcome with the program, so it appears Powell has recommitted himself to the Tigers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- National recognition pours in for Tiger baseball
- Women’s golf finishes fifth at AAC Championship
- New look backcourt key to Tiger success in 2016
- Student government proposes lower GPA standards for themselves
- Former Tiger great chases championship
- "Blues for an Alabama Sky" marks last production of season
- Delta Vibe Promotes local Memphis bands at Spring Fling
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!