Pookie to stay at Memphis
After contemplating transferring away from the University of Memphis men's basketball team, redshirt freshman guard RaShawn "Pookie" Powell decided to stay at the U of M on Thursday afternoon, according to a source close to the program.
The Orlando, Fla., native sat out his first season at Memphis after failing to meet the academic standards set by the NCAA. He was ineligible to practice or play with the team.
Rumblings of Powell's intentions to transfer arose after a disagreement with the coaching staff about Powell's intentions for this summer. But, the two sides reconciled on Wednesday evening to keep Powell on campus for next season, according to a source.
The 6-foot, 177-pound guard is expected to contribute heavily to the decimated Memphis frontcourt. Next year's team will be without the four senior guards that anchored this year's squad.
Alongside Powell, Memphis hopes to get significant minutes from redshirt freshman Markel Crawford and several other incoming recruits.
Powell set the single-season scoring record as a senior at Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando. He averaged 27.8 points per game to go along with four assists and five boards.
Memphis head coach Josh Pastner said in his closing press conference that any player who was not "two-feet in" would not be welcome with the program, so it appears Powell has recommitted himself to the Tigers.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Glennon reflects on record-breaking career at Memphis
- Tigers discuss turning page for new reason
- Turnovers trump Tigers' conference hopes
- Nobel Prize winner strives for peace between Pakistan and India
- $10.8 million awarded to University
- Art professor apologizes for 'F-bomb'
- U of M participates in national earthquake drill
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus