Tigers showing skin in 'Playboy'
You know the dream in which somehow, everyone in school knows what you look like naked?
For two University of Memphis women, that just became a reality.
Freshman health and human performance major Leela Martin and junior photography major Olivia Lyric are two of 36 co-eds featured in Playboy's "Girls of Conference USA" magazine that hit newsstands Monday.
"I'm not ashamed of my body," Martin said. "There are things I don't like about my body just like any other girl, but I'm not opposed to a naked body at all."
Neither are the reported 10 million readers of Playboy .
U of M readers and lookers can meet the two girls at Spin Street Music on Poplar between 12 and 2 p.m. today.
They can buy the collector's edition - which contains a tribute to Anna Nicole Smith - and get it signed by the girls.
"I've got a lot of fans. I never saw that coming," Lyric said. "I never would have expected to have the reactions I've had."
Lyric said she never envisioned herself as a "Playboy girl."
Those girls are blondes with big breasts, she said pointing to her 34A cups.
A friend actually tricked her into going to the auditions when Playboy came to Memphis in fall, but Lyric isn't shy about her body.
"I wouldn't wear clothes to school if I didn't have to," she said.
Martin is a little more reserved, saying she thinks she looks sexier in a bikini or lingerie than completely nude.
In her magazine photo, Martin isn't covered at all - not a stitch.
"I don't feel like it's a bad thing," she said. "I think America's too covered up."
Still, Americans aren't shy about looking at naked bodies.
A CBS News article estimated the pornographic industry makes over $10 billion a year in America alone.
While Martin said she didn't want to think about people using her photos for pleasurable purposes, Lyric took a slightly different attitude towards the situation.
"It would make any girl feel proud to know that people are admiring her beauty to such a great extent - even if that means 'relieving a little tension,'" Lyric said.
As for men, Martin, who is "technically in a relationship," said she wants someone who's romantic, not sappy, funny and attractive.
"I want somebody who can always treat me like a princess," she said. "Oh, and someone who can deal with my personality because I'm really goofy."
On the other hand, Lyric, who said she is "very single," said she wants a guy who is sweet and cuddly.
"I like somebody who is mature enough to understand most everything," she said. "I look for personality more than looks nine out of 10 times."
Ultimately, Lyric said she would like to take pictures for Playboy, while Martin wants to be a model.
Even if she decides to not go into photography, Lyric said she doesn't think posing for the self-proclaimed No. 1 men's magazine in the world would hurt her chances.
"If Bill Clinton can be president and smoke weed, I'm sure I can get naked in college and do whatever I want to do," she said. "I've been building a lot of contacts because of this."
The girls, who both have MySpace.com accounts, have already done a few publicity spots on radio stations and after today's signing will probably do a few more.
Both Martin and Lyric said if given the opportunity, they would do it all over again.
"I started off wearing panties and a bra and eventually I was naked, but I didn't feel like I was naked, I felt like totally comfortable," Martin said. "I would totally do it again."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists