Tigers to face off with Xavier Musketeers
After another rise in the rankings from No. 21 to No. 19 in the Associated Press poll, the University of Memphis men's basketball team looks to extend their winning streak to 19 games on the road against the Xavier Musketeers in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Tigers enter tonight's match as the only team in NCAA Division I men's basketball to have not lost a decision on the road (7-0). The Musketeers (15-11, 8-5 Atlantic 10) own a 9-3 record at the Cintas Center and are coming off a 75-71 loss at home to Virginia Commonwealth.
Xavier's Semaj Christon (15.0 ppg) and Travis Taylor (11.6 ppg) are the only players on the team averaging double figures in points.
Taylor poses a tough task for Tiger big men Shaq Goodwin and Tarik Black, as he not only scores, but leads the team in rebounding at 8.6 rpg. He has helped the Musketeers out-rebound opponents by an average margin of +4.9 rpg.
Memphis has allowed opponents at their home court to shoot 27.2 percent from three-point range, a stat that bodes well against a Musketeer squad shooting just 34.7 percent from long range on the season. The top outside shooting threats for Xavier the Tigers will have to keep close tabs on are Brad Redford (43.9 percent) and Dee Davis (38.8 percent).
Recently, sophomore guard-forward Adonis Thomas has stepped up his game and given the Tigers another added dimension on the offensive end. The sophomore, as well as guards Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson, will have opportunities to drive against a Musketeer defense that is forcing just 11.8 turnovers per game.
The Tigers have had a tough time against A-10 competition, holding a 68-67 edge all-time. A win tonight would be head coach Josh Pastner's 100th victory of his career at the helm of the program, and just the sixth in program history.
Game time is slated for 6 p.m. CT and will be televised by ESPN2 and Comcast digital channel 24.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- AAC releases coaches' preseason predictions
- U of M Law School ranked No. 1 by PreLaw Magazine
- Historic cemetery hosts annual 'Spirits with Spirits'
- Up 'Til Dawn kicks off letter sending party
- New NBA season tips off with plethora of storylines
- Q&A with comedian and actor Gary Owen
- Open records, locked door
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!