Tigers to face off with Xavier Musketeers
After another rise in the rankings from No. 21 to No. 19 in the Associated Press poll, the University of Memphis men's basketball team looks to extend their winning streak to 19 games on the road against the Xavier Musketeers in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Tigers enter tonight's match as the only team in NCAA Division I men's basketball to have not lost a decision on the road (7-0). The Musketeers (15-11, 8-5 Atlantic 10) own a 9-3 record at the Cintas Center and are coming off a 75-71 loss at home to Virginia Commonwealth.
Xavier's Semaj Christon (15.0 ppg) and Travis Taylor (11.6 ppg) are the only players on the team averaging double figures in points.
Taylor poses a tough task for Tiger big men Shaq Goodwin and Tarik Black, as he not only scores, but leads the team in rebounding at 8.6 rpg. He has helped the Musketeers out-rebound opponents by an average margin of +4.9 rpg.
Memphis has allowed opponents at their home court to shoot 27.2 percent from three-point range, a stat that bodes well against a Musketeer squad shooting just 34.7 percent from long range on the season. The top outside shooting threats for Xavier the Tigers will have to keep close tabs on are Brad Redford (43.9 percent) and Dee Davis (38.8 percent).
Recently, sophomore guard-forward Adonis Thomas has stepped up his game and given the Tigers another added dimension on the offensive end. The sophomore, as well as guards Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson, will have opportunities to drive against a Musketeer defense that is forcing just 11.8 turnovers per game.
The Tigers have had a tough time against A-10 competition, holding a 68-67 edge all-time. A win tonight would be head coach Josh Pastner's 100th victory of his career at the helm of the program, and just the sixth in program history.
Game time is slated for 6 p.m. CT and will be televised by ESPN2 and Comcast digital channel 24.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Working Around New State Law Hampering Pre-Natal Healthcare
- Relay Looks for a Leg in Memphis, Finds Protest Instead
- Memphis’ frontcourt looks promising for 2016
- Wilson climbing the ladder to the majors
- U of M's legal counsel teaches journalism students
- Students debate the importance of graduate school
- Cooper-Young hosts monthly art tours
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Know Which Plumbing Projects Need a Pro
- Light Up Your Landscaping Like a Pro
- Manage Emergency Plumbing Leaks With Ease
- How to Protect Pets From Fleas and Ticks
- Key Ingredients for a Healthy Heart
- Spring Cleaning Made Easy to Help Tackle Inanimate Allergens
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards