Tigers to face off with Xavier Musketeers
After another rise in the rankings from No. 21 to No. 19 in the Associated Press poll, the University of Memphis men's basketball team looks to extend their winning streak to 19 games on the road against the Xavier Musketeers in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Tigers enter tonight's match as the only team in NCAA Division I men's basketball to have not lost a decision on the road (7-0). The Musketeers (15-11, 8-5 Atlantic 10) own a 9-3 record at the Cintas Center and are coming off a 75-71 loss at home to Virginia Commonwealth.
Xavier's Semaj Christon (15.0 ppg) and Travis Taylor (11.6 ppg) are the only players on the team averaging double figures in points.
Taylor poses a tough task for Tiger big men Shaq Goodwin and Tarik Black, as he not only scores, but leads the team in rebounding at 8.6 rpg. He has helped the Musketeers out-rebound opponents by an average margin of +4.9 rpg.
Memphis has allowed opponents at their home court to shoot 27.2 percent from three-point range, a stat that bodes well against a Musketeer squad shooting just 34.7 percent from long range on the season. The top outside shooting threats for Xavier the Tigers will have to keep close tabs on are Brad Redford (43.9 percent) and Dee Davis (38.8 percent).
Recently, sophomore guard-forward Adonis Thomas has stepped up his game and given the Tigers another added dimension on the offensive end. The sophomore, as well as guards Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson, will have opportunities to drive against a Musketeer defense that is forcing just 11.8 turnovers per game.
The Tigers have had a tough time against A-10 competition, holding a 68-67 edge all-time. A win tonight would be head coach Josh Pastner's 100th victory of his career at the helm of the program, and just the sixth in program history.
Game time is slated for 6 p.m. CT and will be televised by ESPN2 and Comcast digital channel 24.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers take down Bulls for fifth straight win
- Nintendo's flagship fighter smashes expectations
- Polar Plunge chills Up 'til Dawn members
- U of M attacks ex-employee claims
- Tigers pounce on Prairie View, pick up first win of the season
- Big K.R.I.T.'s Cadillactica brings the Gulf Coast sound to the rest of the...
- University concludes open sessions to select next vice president
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge