CBU tumbles to Tigers 65-54
Junior Tarik Black goes up for a layup against Christian Brothers University on Wednesday night at the FedExForum. David C. Minkin | special to the daily helmsman
A new season started Wednesday night in an exhibition that will not count as a win or loss in the record books versus the Christian Brothers University Buccaneers at the FedExForum for the University of Memphis men's basketball team.
Head coach Josh Pastner preached rebounding during the offseason, and the Tigers seemed to have listened, starting the game with three offensive boards on the first possession from senior Ferrakohn Hall.
After jumping out to a quick 4-0 lead, the Bucs battled back with two three-pointers to even the game at 6. With the score notched at 8, things started to get sloppy for the Tigers. A turnover by junior guard Antonio Barton led to the Bucs' third three of the first half, followed by another turnover by Hall to give the Bucs a 13-8 lead.
CBU pushed the lead 17-11, but Memphis continued to fight back, getting the ball down low to Hall and freshman Shaq Goodwin to pull even at 17. Both teams fought for the rest of the first half with the Bucs heading into the locker room with a 28-26 advantage.
"Christian Brothers is a great team and offensively they do some things that we're going to see throughout the whole year," sophomore guard-forward Adonis Thomas said. "It gives us a feel for Monday's game which is going to count and help us reach our goals."
Memphis woke up to start the second half, racing out with a 9-0 run to take the lead 35-28. After another three by the Bucs, the Tigers built their largest lead of the game so far at 43-33.
But the Bucs didn't go quietly. With the Tigers holding a 51-40 edge, CBU mounted their comeback with a barrage of three-pointers. CBU's Corey McArthy and Pat Graham hit three straight field goals to bring the score 51-49. The Tigers answered with a three of their own by Thomas, but the Bucs kept the Tigers reeling with a layup and another three from Graham to tie the game at 54.
Memphis ended any hopes of a Bucs upset, closing out the game on an 11-0 run to take the exhibition match 65-54.
"This was good for us just in the sense of the style they played," Pastner said. "You know we're down and it is a close game and we had to get some stops. So in the long run this game will come back to help us, I can assure you of that."
Thomas and junior guard Joe Jackson paced the Tigers with 14 points each, with Jackson dishing out 11 assists. Junior Tarik Black chipped in with 13 points and five rebounds. Graham led the Bucs with 15 points, and five of CBU's 10 three-point field goals.
The Tigers' season opener against North Florida is at 7 p.m. Monday at the FedExForum.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers take down Bulls for fifth straight win
- Nintendo's flagship fighter smashes expectations
- Polar Plunge chills Up 'til Dawn members
- U of M attacks ex-employee claims
- Tigers pounce on Prairie View, pick up first win of the season
- Big K.R.I.T.'s Cadillactica brings the Gulf Coast sound to the rest of the...
- University concludes open sessions to select next vice president
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge