Shuttles as new escorts for faculty, students
Before moving to New York City for an unpaid internship, Zachary Losher worked at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville’s radio station, WTK. photo courtesy of zachary losher
University of Memphis students can expect to catch a ride on a shuttle bus as early as the end of this semester.
The idea was developed to ensure student safety, according to Assistant Vice President of Business Services Edwina Washington.
"We are finalizing the specific type of bus to be used, but we anticipate they will be vehicles that will support 26 passengers and two wheelchairs," she said. "It will not be a school bus."
Other details about the shuttle such as its name, hours and routes are in the planning stages. It will be available to students, faculty, staff and visitors free of charge.
Though the number of buses depends on the number of routes and wait times, five buses with one spare are currently planned.
Shuttle buses are most commonly used to shuttle people to and from hotels, airports and tourist attractions. More recently, colleges have used them to provide a safe and a more efficient means of transportation.
"I have night classes, and I do not feel safe walking to and from class. My dad bought me pepper spray, but I should not have to worry about getting jumped walking to class," said Caroline Berry, a junior hospitality major. "I think I will feel a lot safer on campus if I have a safe way of getting around."
Bruce Harber, director of police services, said the shuttle bus would increase campus security efforts.
"The shuttle should make our campus even more secure by providing transportation around the perimeter of campus, especially at night, allowing the Tiger Escort Program to focus more on interior escorts on our campus," Harber said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Austin Nichols picks Virginia
- Trump’s track record on race troubling, activists say
- Victims’ families push Senate for immigration crackdown
- Helmsman roundtable: Austin Nichols departs
- U of M's Austin Nichols intends to transfer
- Nichols' potential transfer leaves Memphis in bind
- Working Around New State Law Hampering Pre-Natal Healthcare
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS