Shuttles as new escorts for faculty, students
Before moving to New York City for an unpaid internship, Zachary Losher worked at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville’s radio station, WTK. photo courtesy of zachary losher
University of Memphis students can expect to catch a ride on a shuttle bus as early as the end of this semester.
The idea was developed to ensure student safety, according to Assistant Vice President of Business Services Edwina Washington.
"We are finalizing the specific type of bus to be used, but we anticipate they will be vehicles that will support 26 passengers and two wheelchairs," she said. "It will not be a school bus."
Other details about the shuttle such as its name, hours and routes are in the planning stages. It will be available to students, faculty, staff and visitors free of charge.
Though the number of buses depends on the number of routes and wait times, five buses with one spare are currently planned.
Shuttle buses are most commonly used to shuttle people to and from hotels, airports and tourist attractions. More recently, colleges have used them to provide a safe and a more efficient means of transportation.
"I have night classes, and I do not feel safe walking to and from class. My dad bought me pepper spray, but I should not have to worry about getting jumped walking to class," said Caroline Berry, a junior hospitality major. "I think I will feel a lot safer on campus if I have a safe way of getting around."
Bruce Harber, director of police services, said the shuttle bus would increase campus security efforts.
"The shuttle should make our campus even more secure by providing transportation around the perimeter of campus, especially at night, allowing the Tiger Escort Program to focus more on interior escorts on our campus," Harber said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor