Errors prove costly as Southern Miss sweeps the Tigers
The University of Memphis struggled with errors and mistakes against Southern Miss over the weekend, finally being swept with a 2-1 loss on Sunday.
The Tigers fell just short in their first game on Friday, trying unsuccessfully to mount a ninth-inning rally. The Tigers went into the inning down 2-0, courtesy of a Southern Miss triple and single that allowed two runs to score in the fourth. T.J. Rich struck out with the bases loaded, but a wild pitch to Derrick Thomas allowed the Tigers to plate a run. The Golden Eagles escaped with the win after closer Bradley Roney struck Thomas out to end the game.
Two Southern Miss runs were enough again on Saturday, as they shut out the Tigers, 2-0 in game two. Two singles and a stolen base in the second inning put runners in scoring position for the Golden Eagles in the second inning, and a wild pitch allowed the first runner to score. An infield single with two outs allowed the second run to score.
The Tigers had a chance to salvage a game in the series finale on Sunday, but a throwing error by Memphis reliever Jonathan Van Eaton led to Southern Miss' go-ahead run in the eighth inning, and the Tigers fell 2-1.
Memphis took its first lead of the series in the second. Ethan Gross hit a single to left field to bring in Tucker Tubbs. The run ended a 19-inning stretch in which the Tigers did not record an RBI.
The Tigers held their one-run advantage until the seventh inning, when a sacrifice fly by Kameron Brunty tied the game at 1-1. An inning later, with the defense getting set for a bunt, Van Eaton attempted a pick off at first base, which was uncovered. The error allowed a runner to advance to third base, scoring soon after on a single.
Memphis had a chance to rally once again, but a strikeout ended the game with runners on the corners.
With the sweep, the Tigers fell to 17-23 (6-9 C-USA) on the season, and will face Ole Miss in the annual game at AutoZone Park tonight at 6:30 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- M Club Hall of Fame pitcher's jersey to be retired
- Men's golf finishes seventh at conference championship
- Underemployment by recent college grads up 44 percent
- Nine people die each day due to distracted driving
- University receives grant from GRAMMY foundation
- The chaos of cramming
- Brewery uses beer to build Memphis pride
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit