Faculty to vote on same-sex benefits
The University of Memphis Faculty Senate will meet next week to vote on providing same-sex domestic partners with the same benefits given to married faculty and staff on campus. Senators discussed the issue last month, but the vote will take place Tuesday.
As of now, the spouse of anyone working for the University full-time receives healthcare benefits along with the employee. Spouses are also entitled to education benefits such as receiving classes for a discounted tuition.
If this bill to extend these benefits to same-sex domestic partnerships passes in the Faculty Senate, it will proceed to the U of M administration. The administration and the Tennessee Board of Regents have to approve the measure for it to be put into place.
Thomas Hrach, the journalism department representative in the senate, said if prospective professors who are in domestic partnerships are interested in coming to the U of M, the administration may not be able to give the benefits they require.
"We're at a disadvantage if they want to come here," he said.
The University of Tennessee Knoxville Faculty Senate approved a similar bill last spring, which included healthcare, family leave and fee waiver benefits. In September, Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek wrote a letter to the school's senate expressing the administration's inability to recognize the approved bill.
"It is incumbent upon us to act consistently with the public policy of our state," Cheek wrote. "We believe that [the resolutions] are inconsistent with the public policy of our state expressed in constitutional and statutory provisions."
Students are welcome to observe the meeting of the U of M Faculty Senate at 2:40 p.m. Tuesday in the Senate Chambers on the second floor of the University Center.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor