Faculty to vote on same-sex benefits
The University of Memphis Faculty Senate will meet next week to vote on providing same-sex domestic partners with the same benefits given to married faculty and staff on campus. Senators discussed the issue last month, but the vote will take place Tuesday.
As of now, the spouse of anyone working for the University full-time receives healthcare benefits along with the employee. Spouses are also entitled to education benefits such as receiving classes for a discounted tuition.
If this bill to extend these benefits to same-sex domestic partnerships passes in the Faculty Senate, it will proceed to the U of M administration. The administration and the Tennessee Board of Regents have to approve the measure for it to be put into place.
Thomas Hrach, the journalism department representative in the senate, said if prospective professors who are in domestic partnerships are interested in coming to the U of M, the administration may not be able to give the benefits they require.
"We're at a disadvantage if they want to come here," he said.
The University of Tennessee Knoxville Faculty Senate approved a similar bill last spring, which included healthcare, family leave and fee waiver benefits. In September, Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek wrote a letter to the school's senate expressing the administration's inability to recognize the approved bill.
"It is incumbent upon us to act consistently with the public policy of our state," Cheek wrote. "We believe that [the resolutions] are inconsistent with the public policy of our state expressed in constitutional and statutory provisions."
Students are welcome to observe the meeting of the U of M Faculty Senate at 2:40 p.m. Tuesday in the Senate Chambers on the second floor of the University Center.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists