SGA Voter's Guide: Hunter Dawson
• Students for the University Renaissance Emergence Party
• Political Science, Economics, International Studies and History major
• Senator at Large
• Running Mate: LeDarius Millen, Biology and Chemistry Major
After running with the Finding Answers Concerning Everyone party for the past two years, Hunter Dawson formed the Making A Change party this year.
With the newly formed party, Dawson said he wants to generate more campus energy, increase academic excellence and retention, improve campus safety and secure HOPE scholarship funding.
"All four of our bullet points are areas in need of change," Dawson said. "As president, I will work hard to make a change in these areas and all other areas brought to my attention by the students."
Dawson said his two years of experience in the SGA make him the most experienced candidate.
"I have been in over ten different organizations on campus and I have held leadership positions in multiple organizations," he said. "Being involved in these organizations has given me the opportunity to communicate with many different students, which has enabled me to hear concerns from a broad range of the student body."
As a senator, Dawson is a member of the campus safety committee and the finance committee. The safety committee hosted a self defense seminar last semester that was open to all students and instructed by one of the officers from police services.
From his position on the finance committee, Dawson has a hand in deciding whether to disburse funds from a $90,000 pot to students who have requested financial aid for travel.
"I vote to give out thousands of dollars to students that apply for SGA travel funds, so that students can go to conferences and obtain even more experience in the area in which they are interested," he said.
Dawson said he also supports getting a card-swiping system or keypads for sorority houses. He said if he wins, he would make sure that happens.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- UM becomes Center of Transportation Workforce
- Tiger football gears up for home stretch
- Students get crash course in crossing Southern tracks safely
- College students attend Christian retreat
- Abortion Amendment Q&A with Planned Parenthood CEO
- Nichols strains shoulder, expected to miss 10 days
- Sigma Phi Epsilon scares for the children of St. Jude
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR