SGA Voter's Guide: Hunter Dawson
• Students for the University Renaissance Emergence Party
• Political Science, Economics, International Studies and History major
• Senator at Large
• Running Mate: LeDarius Millen, Biology and Chemistry Major
After running with the Finding Answers Concerning Everyone party for the past two years, Hunter Dawson formed the Making A Change party this year.
With the newly formed party, Dawson said he wants to generate more campus energy, increase academic excellence and retention, improve campus safety and secure HOPE scholarship funding.
"All four of our bullet points are areas in need of change," Dawson said. "As president, I will work hard to make a change in these areas and all other areas brought to my attention by the students."
Dawson said his two years of experience in the SGA make him the most experienced candidate.
"I have been in over ten different organizations on campus and I have held leadership positions in multiple organizations," he said. "Being involved in these organizations has given me the opportunity to communicate with many different students, which has enabled me to hear concerns from a broad range of the student body."
As a senator, Dawson is a member of the campus safety committee and the finance committee. The safety committee hosted a self defense seminar last semester that was open to all students and instructed by one of the officers from police services.
From his position on the finance committee, Dawson has a hand in deciding whether to disburse funds from a $90,000 pot to students who have requested financial aid for travel.
"I vote to give out thousands of dollars to students that apply for SGA travel funds, so that students can go to conferences and obtain even more experience in the area in which they are interested," he said.
Dawson said he also supports getting a card-swiping system or keypads for sorority houses. He said if he wins, he would make sure that happens.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- 'Three Artists One yard' presents free music festival
- From desk to field:
- 'Big Gay Art Show' kicks off pride weekend
- Tigers tasked with toppling No. 10 Rebs
- Tank lives up to the name for Memphis football
- National conference celebrates 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act
- Anti-abortion club forms on campus
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections