Planned Parenthood to administer free oral HIV screenings
Senior wide receiver and running back Billy Foster escapes for a 93-yard touchdown against Austin Peay. The Tigers will need similar big plays to keep up with Southern Methodist University’s high-powered offense on Saturday. David Minkin
University of Memphis Student Health Services and Planned Parenthood of Greater Memphis will provide free oral HIV screenings today in Brister Hall from noon to 3 p.m.
Joan Carr, director of community affairs at Greater Memphis Planned Parenthood, said HIV testing is extremely important.
"We know of many, many people in the Memphis area who are HIV positive who live normal, healthy lives because they are on viral suppressive treatments that keep the HIV virus in check," Carr said. "The sooner HIV-positive individuals begin treatment, the better their chances are for living a long life and healthy life."
Several employees and volunteers from Planned Parenthood will be on hand to help with the day's services. Tests will be performed orally, using the OraQuick rapid HIV antibody test, and students will receive their results after 20 minutes.
Those tested will receive counseling about practicing safer sex, and educational pamphlets about HIV and other STDs will also be available, Carr said.
"We want everyone to know their HIV status so they can better protect themselves and their partners," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections