Planned Parenthood to administer free oral HIV screenings
Senior wide receiver and running back Billy Foster escapes for a 93-yard touchdown against Austin Peay. The Tigers will need similar big plays to keep up with Southern Methodist University’s high-powered offense on Saturday. David Minkin
University of Memphis Student Health Services and Planned Parenthood of Greater Memphis will provide free oral HIV screenings today in Brister Hall from noon to 3 p.m.
Joan Carr, director of community affairs at Greater Memphis Planned Parenthood, said HIV testing is extremely important.
"We know of many, many people in the Memphis area who are HIV positive who live normal, healthy lives because they are on viral suppressive treatments that keep the HIV virus in check," Carr said. "The sooner HIV-positive individuals begin treatment, the better their chances are for living a long life and healthy life."
Several employees and volunteers from Planned Parenthood will be on hand to help with the day's services. Tests will be performed orally, using the OraQuick rapid HIV antibody test, and students will receive their results after 20 minutes.
Those tested will receive counseling about practicing safer sex, and educational pamphlets about HIV and other STDs will also be available, Carr said.
"We want everyone to know their HIV status so they can better protect themselves and their partners," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- The wait is over for Tiger Football
- Graduate assistants ‘thirst’ for health care
- Women’s soccer starts season on solid foot
- U of M brings concert series to Tiger Lane
- Students dodge honors program, unaware of potential benefits
- 'Big Questions' addressed through professors' grants
- Police investigate U of M area robberies
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care