Planned Parenthood to administer free oral HIV screenings
Senior wide receiver and running back Billy Foster escapes for a 93-yard touchdown against Austin Peay. The Tigers will need similar big plays to keep up with Southern Methodist University’s high-powered offense on Saturday. David Minkin
University of Memphis Student Health Services and Planned Parenthood of Greater Memphis will provide free oral HIV screenings today in Brister Hall from noon to 3 p.m.
Joan Carr, director of community affairs at Greater Memphis Planned Parenthood, said HIV testing is extremely important.
"We know of many, many people in the Memphis area who are HIV positive who live normal, healthy lives because they are on viral suppressive treatments that keep the HIV virus in check," Carr said. "The sooner HIV-positive individuals begin treatment, the better their chances are for living a long life and healthy life."
Several employees and volunteers from Planned Parenthood will be on hand to help with the day's services. Tests will be performed orally, using the OraQuick rapid HIV antibody test, and students will receive their results after 20 minutes.
Those tested will receive counseling about practicing safer sex, and educational pamphlets about HIV and other STDs will also be available, Carr said.
"We want everyone to know their HIV status so they can better protect themselves and their partners," she said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- No. 21 Mustangs pull away late, take down Tigers 66-57
- Benjamin L. Hooks Institute Launches Website Mapping Out Civil Rights Locations
- Pi Beta Phi twist and shout for youth literacy
- Many food shops but few grocery options for Memphis’s poor
- ‘All hail Macbeth…’
- Will you be my 'Palentine'
- Award winning author coming to the U of M
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone