Tigers to throw down with Golden Eagles
D.J. Stephens and the Tigers look to extend their win streak to 14 games Saturday when they take on Southern Miss on the road. PHOTO BY DAVID C. MINKIN | SPECIAL TO THE DAILY HELMSMAN
The University of Memphis men's basketball team (19-3, 8-0 Conference USA) looks for their 14th straight victory when they head to Hattiesburg to take on the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (18-5, 7-1 C-USA). With a win, the Tigers will stay atop the C-USA standings.
Memphis comes into the game on a 13-game winning streak after defeating SMU 60-52 on Wednesday.
"We've won 13 straight, and 17 of 18," head coach Josh Pastner said. "We are playing a really well-coached, a really good team in Southern Miss."
The Golden Eagles are second in the conference behind Memphis, and are coming off their first conference loss of the season at the hands of UCF 60-58. However, the Golden Eagles are a deep team with loads of experience and are undefeated at home with an 8-0 mark. Southern Miss comes into the game with an RPI of 42.
Senior forward Dwayne Davis, who averages 12.9 points per game and ranks second on the team with 4.5 rebounds per game, leads the Golden Eagles. Junior guards Jerrold Brooks and Neil Watson average 10.9 and 9.3 points per contest. Watson also leads the team in assists with 5.0 per game. Forward Jonathan Mills leads the Golden Eagles with 6.8 rebounds per game.
The Tigers are 5-0 on the road and look to continue that success against the Golden Eagles. However, Memphis needs to limit turnovers and points in transition, as both teams are averaging around 73 points per game.
Memphis looks to protect the perimeter against Southern Miss, which has three players that shoot over 42 percent from behind the arc.
"Everyone we play is good," Pastner said. "There are no "gimmes," and Southern Miss has good players."
The winner of the game will be in first place in the conference, but Pastner stressed that this game is no bigger than any other. The Tigers continue to play one game at a time.
Starting forward Shaq Goodwin has been cleared to play by C-USA officials after being called for a Flagrant 2 foul. The foul occurred when Goodwin went to block a lay-up attempt by SMU and both players hit the deck hard. The officials immediately called a Flagrant 2 foul. However, the league reduced the foul to a Flagrant 1 after seeing that Goodwin was playing the ball.
"He made a play on the ball, it was not malicious," Pastner said. "He was just trying to block the shot. It was a good decision by the league."
Junior guard Geron Johnson and sophomore guard-forward Adonis Thomas hit double-figure points last game and will continue to look to score against the Golden Eagles.
The Tigers must limit turnovers against Southern Miss, as the Golden Eagles possess one of the best players in the conference in steals in Wright, who averages 2.0 steals per game.
"We will fight and claw like we have all season," Pastner said. "We have to play a tremendous game." Game time is slated for 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers take down Bulls for fifth straight win
- Nintendo's flagship fighter smashes expectations
- Polar Plunge chills Up 'til Dawn members
- U of M attacks ex-employee claims
- Tigers pounce on Prairie View, pick up first win of the season
- Big K.R.I.T.'s Cadillactica brings the Gulf Coast sound to the rest of the...
- University concludes open sessions to select next vice president
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge