600 photos, 128 pages and 100 years of UM history
As part of The U of M’s centennial celebration, a coffee table book exploring the history of The University was written by faculty from the college of arts and sciences. Brian Wilson
A new coffee table book compiled by University of Memphis professors and officials is the product of four years of sifting through 600 photographs and a century of University of Memphis history.
The U of M published a limited-edition centennial history book entitled "Dreamers. Thinkers. Doers. A Centennial History of The University of Memphis" to celebrate The University's 100th anniversary and pay tribute to its accomplishments over the past century.
"You can hardly have a 100-year anniversary without telling the story of the 100 years," said Janann Sherman, chair of the department of history.
Sherman and Beverly Bond, director of the college of arts and sciences wrote the 128-page book with the help of graduate assistant Frances Breland. Bond said the goal of the book is to give readers a feel for what it was like to be on campus through all of The University's changes.
"We talked it through and decided we couldn't talk about individuals such as sports figures or beauty queens, we wanted to talk about what it was like to be on campus through the years, and we wanted to fill the book with fun and fascinating facts," Sherman said.
The book is composed of five sections representing The University's changes in name and mission. Sherman wrote a central narrative that continues through each section, Bond edited the book and Breland gathered photos and information.
"Our institution went through five name changes through the years and the names reflect the changes The University goes through; it goes from Normal School to Teachers College to full-blown University," Bond said.
The narrative is accompanied by U of M facts and a timeline of events. The book progresses chronologically, from the founding of The University in 1912 to the present day. The authors found that the atmosphere of The University coincided with what was happening in America.
"Every year on campus tells a story," Sherman said. "What was happening on campus was reflecting what was happening in America. During World War I and World War II, women were on campus making bandages for the war effort."
The 9-inch by 12-inch full-color book is filled with photographs and illustrations that aid in telling The University's story.
"This book appeals to anyone with a connection to The University of Memphis, and while I'm new to The University, I find it fascinating to see how The University has changed in the last 100 years; the history is amazing," said Donna L. Collier, manager of The University of Memphis Bookstore.
The book is being sold exclusively at the campus bookstore for $39.95. The University printed only 2,000 copies of the limited-edition book and 400 have already been sold.
"Faculty, staff, departments and alumni are the main customers purchasing the book," Collier said. "I believe this book will appeal to anyone interested in The University, but particularly those who have been on campus at some time or another."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- UM becomes Center of Transportation Workforce
- Tiger football gears up for home stretch
- Students get crash course in crossing Southern tracks safely
- College students attend Christian retreat
- Abortion Amendment Q&A with Planned Parenthood CEO
- Nichols strains shoulder, expected to miss 10 days
- Sigma Phi Epsilon scares for the children of St. Jude
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR