U of M athletes make honor roll history
More so than ever in today's world, the emphasis is placed on the athlete and not the student in college sports. Time and time again, a program loses an athlete due to failing grades or poor attendance. However, during the 2012-2013 academic year student-athletes at the University of Memphis excelled in the classroom, placing 228 on the Conference USA's Commissioner's Honor Roll as announced by conference Commissioner Britton Banowsky.
Memphis' 228 student-athletes that made the list is the highest total for any institution this year in C-USA, including prestigiously academic Rice and Tulane.
"I am extremely proud of the academic accomplishments of our student-athletes", said Memphis Athletics Director Tom Bowen. "Their work in the classroom is a tribute, to not only themselves, but to our coaches and to Bob Baker [Director of Athletic Academic Services] and the advisors in our academic center."
This marks the seventh-consecutive year that the number of Tiger student-athletes named to the list has increased. This year's total was 10 higher than last year's mark of 218.
Behind the Tigers for number of student-athletes named to the C-USA Commissioner's Honor Roll, UCF ranked second with 227 named to the honor roll with Rice ranking third at 215.
"Our commitment as a staff is to make sure that our student-athlete has everything needed to receive a degree from the University of Memphis and obviously, our student-athletes are doing their part to make sure they reach their ultimate goal in the classroom," Bowen said.
To be named to the list, student-athletes must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0. Aside from Memphis placing the most on the honor roll, C-USA as a whole placed a record number of 2,566 student-athletes on the list, an increase of more than three percent from a year ago.
Also being announced today will be the Commissioner's Academic Medal, which is given to student-athletes with a cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or better.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers take down Bulls for fifth straight win
- Nintendo's flagship fighter smashes expectations
- Polar Plunge chills Up 'til Dawn members
- U of M attacks ex-employee claims
- Tigers pounce on Prairie View, pick up first win of the season
- Big K.R.I.T.'s Cadillactica brings the Gulf Coast sound to the rest of the...
- University concludes open sessions to select next vice president
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge