U of M athletes make honor roll history
More so than ever in today's world, the emphasis is placed on the athlete and not the student in college sports. Time and time again, a program loses an athlete due to failing grades or poor attendance. However, during the 2012-2013 academic year student-athletes at the University of Memphis excelled in the classroom, placing 228 on the Conference USA's Commissioner's Honor Roll as announced by conference Commissioner Britton Banowsky.
Memphis' 228 student-athletes that made the list is the highest total for any institution this year in C-USA, including prestigiously academic Rice and Tulane.
"I am extremely proud of the academic accomplishments of our student-athletes", said Memphis Athletics Director Tom Bowen. "Their work in the classroom is a tribute, to not only themselves, but to our coaches and to Bob Baker [Director of Athletic Academic Services] and the advisors in our academic center."
This marks the seventh-consecutive year that the number of Tiger student-athletes named to the list has increased. This year's total was 10 higher than last year's mark of 218.
Behind the Tigers for number of student-athletes named to the C-USA Commissioner's Honor Roll, UCF ranked second with 227 named to the honor roll with Rice ranking third at 215.
"Our commitment as a staff is to make sure that our student-athlete has everything needed to receive a degree from the University of Memphis and obviously, our student-athletes are doing their part to make sure they reach their ultimate goal in the classroom," Bowen said.
To be named to the list, student-athletes must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0. Aside from Memphis placing the most on the honor roll, C-USA as a whole placed a record number of 2,566 student-athletes on the list, an increase of more than three percent from a year ago.
Also being announced today will be the Commissioner's Academic Medal, which is given to student-athletes with a cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or better.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- National recognition pours in for Tiger baseball
- Women’s golf finishes fifth at AAC Championship
- New look backcourt key to Tiger success in 2016
- Student government proposes lower GPA standards for themselves
- Former Tiger great chases championship
- "Blues for an Alabama Sky" marks last production of season
- Delta Vibe Promotes local Memphis bands at Spring Fling
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!