U of M advertising team wins best presenter
The University of Memphis' senior advertising team received second place in the National Student Advertising Competition along with one of its five contestants winning Best Presenter of the competition.
"You could call it a comeback year," said Sandra Utt, advertising professor and advisor for the department of journalism.
The NSAC takes place every year at the end of the spring semester. Participants are given a client, budget and set of objectives for the project.
This year's client was Nissan Motor Company, with a budget of $100 million and a target audience of 18 to 29-year-old multicultural people. The objectives were to increase lasting favorability and brand awareness, Utt said.
The 18 seniors from The U of M began the competition in the fall. Nine schools from across the Southeastern region competed. The U of M finished second to the University of Alabama by three-tenths of a point.
"Anything could go wrong or right, and the stars just seemed to be shining right," Utt said.
It was the second year in a row that The U of M produced the best presenter in the competition with this year's winner being Walter Smith, senior journalism major.
"He was very in control and made you believe what he was saying. He took command of the room," Utt said.
Winning the award has helped Smith network, he said.
"The NSAC is a big deal in the advertising world and it's a real honor to have won best presenter," Smith said. "I'm already getting calls from different companies including ones I didn't even apply to."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- M Club Hall of Fame pitcher's jersey to be retired
- Men's golf finishes seventh at conference championship
- Underemployment by recent college grads up 44 percent
- Nine people die each day due to distracted driving
- University receives grant from GRAMMY foundation
- The chaos of cramming
- Brewery uses beer to build Memphis pride
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit