Memphis renovates track and field facility
Construction is underway on the new University of Memphis track and field complex located on the Park Avenue Campus. The upgrade should place Memphis on the national stage for athletic facilities, administrators said.
Bill Lofton, associate athletic director in charge of facilities, said progress on the track project was delayed this spring. It has spilled into the academic year because the Memphis track program sent a program-record 19 athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Regional meet in May.
The old track has been completely removed in order to build the complex from the ground up. As part of the renovation, the new infield will be large enough to contain a soccer field. New pole vault boxes, long and triple jump runways, multiple high jump aprons, discus and hammer cages and a shot put field.
Beynon, an internationally recognized premier track surfacing company, is responsible for the rebuild. Beynon built the track at the University of Oregon, the site of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Trials.
"This will be the best facility in the (American Athletic) conference," Lofton said. "It is an opportunity to compete on the highest level and will help us position our programs better."
Work crews began laying down asphalt on Tuesday, and Memphis athletic administrators are set to meet today to determine the final timetable for the completion of the facility.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Working Around New State Law Hampering Pre-Natal Healthcare
- Relay Looks for a Leg in Memphis, Finds Protest Instead
- Memphis’ frontcourt looks promising for 2016
- Wilson climbing the ladder to the majors
- U of M's legal counsel teaches journalism students
- Students debate the importance of graduate school
- Cooper-Young hosts monthly art tours
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards