Memphis renovates track and field facility
Construction is underway on the new University of Memphis track and field complex located on the Park Avenue Campus. The upgrade should place Memphis on the national stage for athletic facilities, administrators said.
Bill Lofton, associate athletic director in charge of facilities, said progress on the track project was delayed this spring. It has spilled into the academic year because the Memphis track program sent a program-record 19 athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Regional meet in May.
The old track has been completely removed in order to build the complex from the ground up. As part of the renovation, the new infield will be large enough to contain a soccer field. New pole vault boxes, long and triple jump runways, multiple high jump aprons, discus and hammer cages and a shot put field.
Beynon, an internationally recognized premier track surfacing company, is responsible for the rebuild. Beynon built the track at the University of Oregon, the site of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Trials.
"This will be the best facility in the (American Athletic) conference," Lofton said. "It is an opportunity to compete on the highest level and will help us position our programs better."
Work crews began laying down asphalt on Tuesday, and Memphis athletic administrators are set to meet today to determine the final timetable for the completion of the facility.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- No. 21 Mustangs pull away late, take down Tigers 66-57
- Benjamin L. Hooks Institute Launches Website Mapping Out Civil Rights Locations
- Pi Beta Phi twist and shout for youth literacy
- Many food shops but few grocery options for Memphis’s poor
- ‘All hail Macbeth…’
- Will you be my 'Palentine'
- Award winning author coming to the U of M
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy