Memphis renovates track and field facility
Construction is underway on the new University of Memphis track and field complex located on the Park Avenue Campus. The upgrade should place Memphis on the national stage for athletic facilities, administrators said.
Bill Lofton, associate athletic director in charge of facilities, said progress on the track project was delayed this spring. It has spilled into the academic year because the Memphis track program sent a program-record 19 athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Regional meet in May.
The old track has been completely removed in order to build the complex from the ground up. As part of the renovation, the new infield will be large enough to contain a soccer field. New pole vault boxes, long and triple jump runways, multiple high jump aprons, discus and hammer cages and a shot put field.
Beynon, an internationally recognized premier track surfacing company, is responsible for the rebuild. Beynon built the track at the University of Oregon, the site of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Trials.
"This will be the best facility in the (American Athletic) conference," Lofton said. "It is an opportunity to compete on the highest level and will help us position our programs better."
Work crews began laying down asphalt on Tuesday, and Memphis athletic administrators are set to meet today to determine the final timetable for the completion of the facility.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- Tigers get revenge defeat Tulane, 57-55
- Former U of M Vice President accused of lies
- University and ex-employee make final arguments in termination appeal
- Songwriter journeys from Tennessee to California
- Holiday weather brings yuletide death
- Lynch makes leap in record-setting season
- More college students linger after four-year mark
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World