Memphis renovates track and field facility
Construction is underway on the new University of Memphis track and field complex located on the Park Avenue Campus. The upgrade should place Memphis on the national stage for athletic facilities, administrators said.
Bill Lofton, associate athletic director in charge of facilities, said progress on the track project was delayed this spring. It has spilled into the academic year because the Memphis track program sent a program-record 19 athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Regional meet in May.
The old track has been completely removed in order to build the complex from the ground up. As part of the renovation, the new infield will be large enough to contain a soccer field. New pole vault boxes, long and triple jump runways, multiple high jump aprons, discus and hammer cages and a shot put field.
Beynon, an internationally recognized premier track surfacing company, is responsible for the rebuild. Beynon built the track at the University of Oregon, the site of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Trials.
"This will be the best facility in the (American Athletic) conference," Lofton said. "It is an opportunity to compete on the highest level and will help us position our programs better."
Work crews began laying down asphalt on Tuesday, and Memphis athletic administrators are set to meet today to determine the final timetable for the completion of the facility.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More dailyhelmsman News Articles
Recent dailyhelmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILYHELMSMAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILYHELMSMAN NEWS
- National recognition pours in for Tiger baseball
- Women’s golf finishes fifth at AAC Championship
- New look backcourt key to Tiger success in 2016
- Student government proposes lower GPA standards for themselves
- Former Tiger great chases championship
- "Blues for an Alabama Sky" marks last production of season
- Delta Vibe Promotes local Memphis bands at Spring Fling
RECENT DAILYHELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!