Memphis renovates track and field facility
Construction is underway on the new University of Memphis track and field complex located on the Park Avenue Campus. The upgrade should place Memphis on the national stage for athletic facilities, administrators said.
Bill Lofton, associate athletic director in charge of facilities, said progress on the track project was delayed this spring. It has spilled into the academic year because the Memphis track program sent a program-record 19 athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Regional meet in May.
The old track has been completely removed in order to build the complex from the ground up. As part of the renovation, the new infield will be large enough to contain a soccer field. New pole vault boxes, long and triple jump runways, multiple high jump aprons, discus and hammer cages and a shot put field.
Beynon, an internationally recognized premier track surfacing company, is responsible for the rebuild. Beynon built the track at the University of Oregon, the site of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Trials.
"This will be the best facility in the (American Athletic) conference," Lofton said. "It is an opportunity to compete on the highest level and will help us position our programs better."
Work crews began laying down asphalt on Tuesday, and Memphis athletic administrators are set to meet today to determine the final timetable for the completion of the facility.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- M Club Hall of Fame pitcher's jersey to be retired
- Men's golf finishes seventh at conference championship
- Underemployment by recent college grads up 44 percent
- Nine people die each day due to distracted driving
- University receives grant from GRAMMY foundation
- The chaos of cramming
- Brewery uses beer to build Memphis pride
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...