Specialty hot dogs now call Highland home
Blues City Hot Dogs is a well-lit, cozy space run by U of M alum Iyman Rasoul. The sounds of the blues coming from speakers make the shop's name rather fitting, as does the memorabilia lining the left wall. Beyond that, it's just Memphis: the flavors, the style - all wrapped in a bun.
Rasoul graduated in 2005 with a sociology degree and opened up Blues City Hot Dog in June 2013 with his brother Allen, because, according to him, everybody loves hot dogs.
"We all grew up with them," Rasoul, 32, said. "There are a few places around that serve hot dogs, but most don't specialize like we do."
In his black rubber gloves, he looks more like a tattoo artist than a hot dog extraordinaire, but his tasty creations are already making U of M students' mouths water. Students who purchase a hot dog and show their student ID will get free chips and a drink starting Sept. 1.
The menu consists of about 12 different specialty dogs, catering to all walks of life including vegetarian, and an assortment of build-your-own menu items with prices ranging from four to six dollars.
Cali Thompson, an employee at Blues City Hot Dog, said she's tried a lot of the dogs and even made her own a couple times.
"I've tried the buffalo, the St. Jude, the Backyard, the Elvis," Thompson said. "I'm surprised I haven't gained like 20 pounds working here."
All dogs are made with a quarter pound of Nathan's beef, a brand that hails from Coney Island. A trip to the official website, NathansFamous.com, tells all that's needed about the brand itself, and a trip to Blues City proves the superiority in quality.
Rasoul's personal favorite is the Southwestern dog topped with guacamole, sour cream, spicy mustard, jalapeÃ±os, crushed Fritos and a bit of dry ru
The Blues City dog - a popular menu item - is prepared with Memphis dry rub, barbecue sauce, an option of pulled pork or chicken and cole slaw all served on either a traditional or a pretzel bun.
Rasoul and his brother, in true Tiger fashion, also support St. Jude with their hot dogs.
Tara Lewis, a senior, stopped into the shop for lunch and ordered the St. Jude Dog. One dollar from each St. Jude Dog goes to the St. Jude Children's Hospital.
"I really like hot dogs," Lewis said. "I'm happy, someone else is happy. A good deed is done."
Right now, the shop is only open until 2 p.m., but, starting Sept. 1, their hours will be 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- UM becomes Center of Transportation Workforce
- Tiger football gears up for home stretch
- Students get crash course in crossing Southern tracks safely
- College students attend Christian retreat
- Abortion Amendment Q&A with Planned Parenthood CEO
- Nichols strains shoulder, expected to miss 10 days
- Sigma Phi Epsilon scares for the children of St. Jude
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR