Antonio Barton's injury not too severe
Tiger Nation took a collective sigh of relief yesterday morning after receiving word that sophomore guard Antonio Barton's injury is not as severe as originally thought.
Barton left Tuesday's game against UCF after picking up the injury at the end of the first half. While the coaches initially thought it was a broken foot, an MRI and X-Rays early Wednesday showed that Barton sustained a bone bruise and a mid-foot sprain.
This news comes as a relief to a Memphis team that has already had to deal with injuries this season. The Tigers lost freshman wing Adonis Thomas on Jan. 11 due to an ankle injury and senior guard Charles Carmouche to knee tendinitis.
Pastner said Barton may play when the Conference USA Tournament begins next Thursday at the FedExForum, but have listed him as doubtful for Saturday's game at Tulsa.
Barton has started the last 19 games for a Memphis squad that finds it battling for a spot in March's NCAA Tournament. For the season, Barton averages 6.9 points per game to go along with 2.9 rebounds and is the Tigers second-most accurate shooter from downtown at 41.2 percent.
A win Saturday at Tulsa will give the Tigers the outright C-USA regular season title. Tipoff is set for 11 a.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
- M Club Hall of Fame pitcher's jersey to be retired
- Men's golf finishes seventh at conference championship
- Underemployment by recent college grads up 44 percent
- Nine people die each day due to distracted driving
- University receives grant from GRAMMY foundation
- The chaos of cramming
- Brewery uses beer to build Memphis pride
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?