Memphis incubates young entrepreneur community
One of the nation's largest startup conferences called Everywhere Else is coming to Memphis next weekend.
The event brings entrepreneurs, investors and founders from all over under one roof in the heart of Memphis.
"We have over 2,000 tickets sold from across the country and around the world," said Kyle Sandler, co-founder of Everywhere Else.
Attendees can expect tips on startups, advice on how to flourish and opportunities to network. Education about entrepreneurship will be provided through panels, keynote speakers and fireside discussions.
"We have Scott Case, who is the founding CTO of Priceline-Steve Case, who founded AOL-Bill Harris, who was the first CEO of Paypal and a number of other speakers," Sandler said.
The conference will be held at the Memphis Cook Convention Center Feb. 10 - 12, and advanced tickets are on sale for $39 on the website everywhereelse.co.
The FedEx Institute of Technology is in the process of creating its own startup lab, the Crews Venture Lab, aimed at equipping Memphis' next generation of entrepreneurs.
"It can really make a difference, not only for the school, but for the students and faculty as well," said Trish Kalbas-Schmidt, manager for the Crews Venture Lab. "It is an incredible hands-on learning environment where we hope to help diversify peoples' skill sets and knowledge in the hopes that they will start a company."
The 8,000 square foot lab will open its doors in August of 2013. It will house offices, conference rooms and a prototype lab with a 3-D laser printer and laser cutters.
It will offer a variety of programs including incubation programs, space for people to start teams, training programs, networking events and mentoring programs.
"Entrepreneurship is learned through apprenticeship, so you learn by doing and being guided and mentored along the way," Eric Mathews, executive director of EmergeMemphis, said.
Students of all backgrounds and majors will be welcomed to utilize this facility.
"We hope to foster an amazing environment where the walls come down," Kalbas-Schmidt said. "It could be a business major, an art history major, a marketing major, a political science major-they can come together, form teams and start to look at ideas and potentially start companies."
Kalbas-Schmidt hopes that the Crews Venture Lab will not only attract students and faculty to Memphis, but also foster relationships between young entrepreneurs with businesses and investors in the area.
"It will be an amazing bridge between the University and the community," Kalbas-Schmidt said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Recent The Daily Helmsman News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE DAILY HELMSMAN NEWS
RECENT THE DAILY HELMSMAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections